Thread Vein Treatment
Case study of Dye-VL and AFT laser treatment for improving scars
What is Thread Vein Treatment?
At London Real Skin we use the Harmony XLi laser platform for facial vascular conditions such as face veins, broken capillaries, thread veins (small fine red veins on the face also called Telangiectasia) and some birthmarks. The laser light selectively heats the superficial thread veins causing the vein to collapse, and restrict the flow of blood, making the vessel invisible.
The treatment is also effective for diffuse facial redness or flushing and Rosacea sufferers and our Medical Aesthetician can advise how to incorporate this treatment into your Dermatologists skin care and treatment plan.
What are the benefits of Thread Vein Treatment?
Laser Treatment is a non-invasive, comfortable procedure that provides lasting results. It can be used on any skin type, and for most treatments you can return to work immediately after each session. It is an effective treatment for face veins, broken capillaries, diffuse facial redness, facial flushing and rosacea.
What is involved in Thread Vein Treatment?
During consultation one of our experienced Medical Aestheticians will assess your suitability for treatment. The Medical Aesthetician will advise on the number of treatments to get the best results. The Medical Aesthetician will advise a treatment plan including the expected number of treatments and duration between treatments. They will also advise on any skincare products that may be suitable to complement the treatment. You will have a patch test to ensure safety.
Prior to treatment you will be asked to ensure the skin is clean and dry and to remove any lotions, fragrances and make-up.
During the treatment your skin will be cleaned and you will be asked to wear special goggles to protect your eyes. The aesthetician will treat the area with the Harmony laser.
Patients with darker skin types may need to see a Dermatologist for topical treatment prior to any laser treatments. Patients with skin conditions may need a skin-check from a Dermatologist prior to any treatment.
What are the risks or potential side-effects of Thread Vein Treatment?
Laser treatment for facial redness is not suitable for the following people:
- Pregnant or breast-feeding
- Patients with sunburn
- Patients suffering from melasma, seizure disorders, herpes simplex virus, hyperpigmentation, history of photosensitivity to light
- Patients on isotretinoin, topical or oral steroids, medications that cause photosensitivity
After treatment, there will be heat in the area and may be some redness and pigmentation will become darker and form slight scabbing. In rare cases edema and blistering can occur. This is a normal side effect of treatment and will settle within days.
What aftercare is required for Thread Vein Treatment?
The following aftercare is recommended to improve the treatment results and to minimise side-effects from the treatment:
- The application of a cool pack during the first few hours after treatment will reduce any discomfort.
- Apply only Biafine or aloe vera gel (without alcohol) to the treated area
- Makeup may be used immediately after the treatment unless there is epidermal blistering. (Preferably mineral make up)
- Avoid sun exposure to reduce the chance of hyperpigmentation or darker pigmentation. Use sunscreen SPF50+ or greater at all times throughout the course of treatment.
- Avoid swimming until the treated area is fully healed
- Avoid hot baths, heat treatments and exercise for the first 48 hours
- Avoid picking scabs
- Avoid using retinoids for 2 days before treatment and 7 days post treatment
Immediately after treatment, there may be redness and swelling at the treatment area, this may feel like mild sunburn. If pigment is present, it will become darker and form a scab. This is a normal effect of treatment. Swelling can occur, especially on cheek area. We recommend sleeping with an extra pillow to decrease swelling.
What is the cost of Thread Vein Treatment?
Vascular and thread vein laser treatmentFee schedule for treating thread veins and vascular lesions
Harmony XL Laser. Vascular - IPL / Dye-VL
Schedule of 3 treatments, once every 4 weeks
Medical Aesthetician consultation and patch test: £30
|Area||1 Treatment||3 Treatment Package (save 10%)|
|Small area (eg veins around nose or chin)||£95||£257|
|Full face and chest||£400||£1,080|