Female patient after 6 Microneedling treatments with SkinPen. Photo courtesy of the manufacturer
Male patient after 5 treatments. Photo courtesy of manufacturer
What is Microneedling?
Medical microneedling or skin-needling is an established clinically proven procedure and has excellent results in significantly improving the appearance of:
- Acne scars
- Photo-damaged and ageing skin
- Facial and décolleté lines and wrinkles
- Stretch marks
The SkinPen microneedling device causes controlled micro-injuries that stimulate the body’s natural wound healing process. The micro-injuries trigger the release of cytokines and growth factors that lead to remodeling of collagen and elastin.
As microneedling stimulates natural responses in the skin, the results you’ll see are completely natural too.
What are the benefits of Microneedling?
Microneedling is safe, minimally invasive with little to no downtime, and helps improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and scars.
After your procedure, you can expect a significant improvement in your skin’s texture and tone. The results may take a little time to show, this could be up to 3 months. Rest assured that the results you see over time will look natural and be long lasting.
What is involved in Microneedling?
The Microneedling SkinPen treatment is an electronic, micro-skin needling procedure that produces thousands of micro-needle columns in the skin, which in turn stimulates the skin to naturally generate and repair itself. As part of this stimulation new collagen can be formed, new cells generated and the structure of the dermis, the lower level of the skin, enhanced. Our Medical Aesthetician will carry out the Microneedling SkinPen procedure using the advanced, medical grade SkinPen precision device.
The Microneedling SkinPen procedure has a good comfort level with patients reporting a mild sensation or just feeling the slight vibration of the Skinpen. Our Medical Aesthetician may numb your skin using a topical anaesthetic beforehand. They will then use the SkinPen precision device to produce thousands of micro-medical needle columns in the skin, and a serum will also be used to help the handpiece glide on the skin. The treatment will take around 30-60 minutes, depending on the area being treated.
Immediately after your Microneedling SkinPen treatment the skin will appear slightly pink to red immediately post-procedure, similar to a mild to moderate sunburn. To assist your skin in its recovery our Medical Aesthetician may apply a post-procedure product.
There are three phases to the wound repair process:
- Phase I: Inflammation. Piercing the skin triggers your immune system to disinfect the wounds, remove debris, increase blood flow and begin to create new tissue.
- Phase II: Proliferation. The wound is re-built with new granulation cells, as well as a temporary (type III) collagen and elastin, which are part of the extracellular matrix. Additionally, a new network of blood vessels develops.
- Phase III: Remodeling. The wound has been replaced with new dermal tissues and blood vessels. The type III collagen in the newly formed tissue is replaced with stronger type I collagen, which can contract to create a tightening or “shrink wrap” effect on the skin.
Our Medical Aesthetician will suggest a course of Microneedling SkinPen treatments depending on the condition being treated, but expect at least three treatments approximately 6 weeks apart.
What are the risks or potential side effects of Microneedling?
Prior to treatment, you will need to:
- Discontinue use of topical retinoids 3 days prior
- Avoid other invasive treatments such as Peels, Laser, IPL, Resurfacing, RF, Filler, Botox for 7 days earlier
- Not have active breakouts or open lesions
- Have discontinued oral Roaccutane/ isotretinoin use at least six months prior
- Not have any Infection or inflammation
Skin type IV-VI may find pigmentation darkening prior to lightening
We use the Skinpen device at London Real Skin as it contains a sterile, single use cartridge housing the mechanism which provides protection from any blood, fluid or serum present during the procedure from penetrating into the pen and causing cross-contamination.
What aftercare is required for Microneedling?
You should avoid intensive UV exposure and artificial exposure for at least 2 weeks after your procedure. It is important that you use a high level broad spectrum sunblock on a daily basis during this period, even in winter and on cloudy days.
Once the redness has cleared following a Microneedling SkinPen procedure, it is important that the skin is cared for on an ongoing daily basis with an effective skincare regime. Our Medical Aesthetician will recommend a regime most suitable for you, which will also help maintain the results.
What is the cost of Microneedling?
Microneedling SkinPenSchedule of treatments 6 weeks apart
Medical Aesthetician consultation and patch test: £30
|Area||1 Treatment||6 Treatments (Save 10%)|
|Microneedling Full Face||£320||£1728|
|Microneedling Face and Chest||£595||£3213|